Tuesday, August 29, 2006

Be strong & courageous

Reading in Deuteronomy this morning, I am reminded of God's words to Israel and to me - "be strong and courageous, do not be afraid or tremble...for the Lord your God is the one who goes with you. He will not fail you or forsake you." Again, in Joshua 1 , God tells them 3 more times: "be strong and courageous." How are they/we to be strong and courageous? God adds: " be careful to do according to the Law which my servant Moses commanded you; do not turn from it to the right or to the left, so that you may have success wherever you go...this book of the Law shall not depart from your mouth, but you shall meditate on it day and night, so that you may be careful to do all that is written in it; for then you will make your way prosperous and then you will have success." In verse 13 He tells them again, "remember the Word."
How well do I know God's Word? Have I "hidden it in my heart" (memorized it) so I can recall it at a moment's notice when I need it? Sometimes I hear a noise in the night and feel afraid - but then I recall God's promise that He gave me years ago after my husband left: "I will both lay me down in peace and sleep, for Thou Lord maketh me to dwell in safety." Oh, that I would have His Word so etched upon my heart and brain that I could always recall just the right verse for any circumstance I find myself in. I am convicted this morning about spending more time reading His Word and meditating on it and memorizing it than I do. As I said the other day, I can be so easily distracted by the things and people of the "world."
He has proven to me time and time again, His Word is true and His Word instructs and guides and heals and cleanses and soothes and gives peace...
Dear God, forgive my distractions and lack of time spent in your Word. Help me to crave it like food and living water so necessary for my spiritual life. Help me to write it on the "doorpost" of my heart. Help me to memorize it so I can recall it when I am afraid or need direction - to tell it to my grandchildren.
There is an answer for every question, directions for every circumstance in your Word.
May I always look there first - not to a friend - not on Google, but in Your Word.
Thank you for giving us Your Word and help us to always appreciate it and cling to it.
Today I feel grateful - for You and Your Word.


No comments: